13) Placebo Effect: Placebos are inactive, ineffective substances to which a positive effect has been attributed. The greater your expectations and beliefs that something will be effective, the greater chance it has of creating a positive response. The mind is a powerful tool. We can increase or decrease our heart rate and blood pressure through visualization. A few individuals using a LOA have a firm belief that it will work and so it does. People tend to have more success with the LOA for smaller items for which they did not make a vision board; finding money on the street, getting a check in the mail, hearing from a long lost friend, etc. Is a belief in a law of attraction any better than rubbing a rabbit’s foot, tossing a coin in the fountain, or pulling apart a wishbone? Test it yourself, the answer is no!
One woman reported having 8 car accidents in one 150 mile journey. She was also unlucky in love. After joining a dating agency, her first date fell off his motorcycle and broke his leg. The second date walked into a glass door and broke his nose. Eventually she met her future husband and the church they were going to get married in burned down the day before the wedding.
Good luck is all about good timing. When you stumble across good fortune, do you say to yourself, “Wow, I guess I happened to be in the right place at just the right time for that blessing to have come my way”? If so, then you already know that being lucky means having good timing. When you are open to the flow of life, good luck will come your way. People who naturally believe that everything happens in the best possible way understand that everything in the universe is interconnected. Lucky people take nothing for granted. They know that the people they meet are there for a reason; even the people who may seem difficult to cope with can teach you how to be patient and forgiving. Lucky people find creative ways to work with other people to achieve mutually satisfying goals. Lucky people know that human interactions increase joy, happiness, and opportunities for growth and positive progress.
Thomas Jefferson said, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." It sounds almost like he could have been a sweeper! The more work you put into entering sweepstakes, the less you need to rely on luck. The amount of luck you need to win when you enter a single sweep is much greater than the amount you need if you enter a few hundred a day.
I hope that this article serves to inspire you to think about the concept of good luck and bad luck in a new way. Because when it boils down to it, good luck isn’t about some random event that tends to favor one person over another. It’s rather about a series of choices that you make on a daily basis, that help you to cultivate the mindset and traits that naturally inspire the right types of actions, that move you towards the opportunities that bring your desires to fruition. And hence the saying goes that,
The Universe/God has an infinite and abundant reservoir of supplies, waiting to be delivered to the ones who sincerely ask for them. It doesn't judge anyone for asking for more, because, you are expected to live your life on this planet to the fullest. It is the limited thinking and the conditioning that we all have been exposed to from childhood which makes us fear the Universe/God; in fact it is not something to be feared at all. It's like the genie from the 'Arabian Nights' - Your wish is its command. Don't be scared. Go ahead ask for everything and anything that you want and believe that you have received them.
If you are constantly worried about bad things happening, or negative outcomes, then you are using the law of attraction against yourself. To worry is really to apply most of the above steps, towards a negative outcome. You are visualizing the negative outcome and asking the universe for it with pictures of the negative outcome; you are feeling the feelings of the negative outcome. Stop worrying and follow step seven above.
I had a clear vision of what happy looked like and since it wasn’t my reality, I didn’t allow myself to be happy. So I was angry, resentful, and jealous of all the people around me who were getting their dreams handed to them. And of course that flipped my magnet and the only thing I attracted was more negativity, sinking deeper and deeper in my own shit until I hit rock bottom.
The Spiritual Explanation: Many people believe that the Law of Attraction works by aligning God or the Universe with our wishes. We are all made of energy, and our energy operates at different frequencies. We can change our frequency of energy with positive thoughts, especially gratitude for what we already have. By using grateful, positive thoughts and feelings and by focusing on our dreams — rather than our frustrations, we can change the frequency of our energy, and the law of attraction brings positive things into our lives. What we attract depends on where and how we focus our attention, but we must believe that it’s already ours, or soon will be.
"You cannot request or manifest a relationship as we desire. There is a beautiful component of wishing, manifesting, etc. that people often forget: free will. One cannot make someone do what they want them to do. ... To manifest a new relationship, one needs to create a list that can easily be fulfilled. A client of mine once made a list of the qualities she wanted in a man, but she listed each request as, 'I want a man who... and a man who... and a man who...' She ended up becoming involved with three different men with each of the qualities requested, not one man with all three qualities. Manifesting can be tricky," Rappaport warns.
14) Anecdotal Evidence: Evidence that the LOA is an effective way of attaining goals is anecdotal, non-scientific and self-reported. This fact does not prove it doesn’t exist. But closely scrutinize whether you want to invest time, money and energy into something that is ineffective and potentially harmful. People are much more likely to publish successes than failures. We also practice apophenia (the belief that there is meaning behind random data) when we focus on coincidences without regard to the much greater number of times that we do not experience coincidences. How many times did you think of that person and they didn’t call you? Of the two thousand people I thought of today, only two actually called. That’s not a great percentage – 0.1%. But if I think of it in terms of the people that called we get a different story. I thought of Bert and he called me – that’s 100%!
7) No Compassion: Don’t get involved with anything negative like charity or helping the needy. This will attract more negativity and poverty. Wallace Wattles, a LOA founder wrote, “Do not talk about poverty; do not investigate it, or concern yourself with it. Do not spend your time in charitable work, or charity movements, all charity only tends to perpetuate the wretchedness it aims to eradicate.” and “Give your attention wholly to riches; ignore poverty.” Rhonda Byrne in The Secret takes this a step further, “If you see people who are overweight, do not observe them…If you think or talk about diseases, you will become sick. What you think or surround yourself with – good or bad, is what you will bring upon yourself.” If you believe in a LOA avoid any of the “helping or health” professions such as physician, nurse, hospital worker, clergy, psychologist, police officer, paramedic, etc. Avoid professions in which you deal with poor people such as accountant, mortgage broker, banker, lawyer, etc. While research shows that charitable work, empathy and volunteering is beneficial to both the giver and receiver, avoid these things if you believe in a LOA.
Those gifted with lady luck are learning, growing and evolving continuously. You will often find them improving their skills, problem-solving ability, creativity, expertise, experience, and knowledge on a daily basis. This naturally helps them gain access to all the necessary resources that allow them to attract seemingly lucky events into their lives.
When things get tough you’ve got two choices: you can either fold or you can keep going. Lucky people are very resilient. I remember talking to one lucky person that had fallen down some stairs and broken his leg. I said, “I bet you don’t consider yourself quite so lucky now.” He said the last time he went to a hospital he met a nurse and they fell in love. Now the two of them are happily married twenty-five years later. He said, “It was the best thing that ever happened to me… So, yeah, things can look bad now, but the long term effect of this might be very, very positive.” That’s a very resilient attitude. Lucky people tend to have that sort of approach.
10) Blame Yourself: As the LOA is supposed to be a perfect, universal law, positivity should ALWAYS attract more positivity. The corollary of this is that you alone are completely responsible for any goal that was not successfully achieved, no matter how unrealistic the goal. This assumes that you not only control your thoughts and actions, but also those of everyone around you…and nature. The fact is, that you don’t. Sorry to break that to you.
You claim that "positive thoughts always resulting in positive things" is not the basis of the LOA. In part you are correct. The foundational basis in science, as I alluded to in the article was that thought stuff particles travel through ether (not air) and interact with formless stuff to create whatever it is that you are thinking about. This was how "the law" started.
The easiest way to experience more good luck in your life is to simply count your blessings. Right now, someone in the world probably wishes they had just half of what you already have. In another person’s eyes, you may have all the luck in the world. But are you paying attention to and noticing all those good things in your life? No matter how bleak you think your life is, you really aren’t as unlucky as you think you are.
I was thinking the same. I've never heard a "professional" man of his age, speaking like such a catty little 15 year old girl. If you read all the comments you can see how he speaks down to/mocks every person who disagrees with him, while sarcastically throwing little digs in wherever he can. I came to this article looking for evidence to discredit the LOA. I just can't seem to take anything he wrote seriously because of his unprofessionalism. Very narrsassitic.
Even though attracting Luck into our lives is something that we cannot physically control, it is, however, something that we can indirectly influence and bring forth into our lives by cultivating certain and traits, developing a “Luck Attracting” mindset, and by taking specific actions that enable us to attract the opportunities into our lives that are naturally labeled as being “Lucky”.
Within days from now you can attract your true love…set up a business that will change the world…get a better job than what you ever imagined possible…start to reclaim your health…rediscover your confidence and connect with the bliss of your true purpose. I’ve seen it happen so many times to people I know and clients of mine. Accelerated learning is a choice that allows you to build all the beautiful, powerful beliefs which will get you there quickly.
6) No Challenges: Challenges are considered negative thoughts and are to be avoided. Besides, if you’ve theoretically already achieved your goal, there could not be any challenges. As Esther Hicks, has stated, “Once you have recognized that thinking of what you do not want only attracts more of what you do not want into your experience, controlling your thoughts will not be a difficult thing…” There are many goal-achieving benefits to acknowledging and planning for challenges that may arise. Unfortunately, a belief in a law of attraction does not allow for you to accomplish this.
Listen to your gut. When it comes to luck, intuition plays an important role. Lucky people’s intuitions tend to pay off time and time again, while unlucky people tend to ignore their gut feelings. Lucky people trust themselves and make effective decisions by paying attention to their hunches and gut feelings. And if they get it wrong, they learn a lesson from it and change their approach.
"Often my luck has come from simply having the courage to make a decision and move on. I rarely find that I have all the information I want to make a truly informed decision. And while it's never good to make a decision in a vacuum, I have found that luck favors the person willing to make a decision with an incomplete set of data, rather than being greedy and waiting too long for all the information to surface."
Did you gain value from this article? Would you like to keep these concepts at the forefront of your mind? If so, then you might like to download the accompanying mind map reference poster to your iPad, tablet or computer. The map presents you with a quick overview of this article. It’s designed specifically to help improve your memory and recall of this information so that you can better integrate these concepts into your daily thoughts, habits and actions. Your purchase will also go a long way towards supporting the further development of these maps.
Draw a route: When you’re traveling down the road of life in search of good luck, it’s important to know the exact direction in which to travel to pursue your destiny. Seneca once said, “If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.” Mark off a route or a path and follow it, and it will be easier to bring your dreams to fruition.
Focus on understanding your part in this overall process, rather than feeling guilty or ashamed. Recognizing how your fears have manifested in your life does not mean that the bad things in your life are your fault. It simply means that the Law of Attraction has responded to the signal you sent out. Just acknowledge that the system works and your new awareness will guide you. No need to shame yourself or even feel responsible.
I cannot praise this book enough. It is very well laid out, easy to understand, to the point and gets one started very quickly on bringing change to one's life. Of all the material I have read this book ranks highly with me and I did buy several more after buying the first book and experiencing rapid results. I wanted to give this great book to loved ones so they too could experience a better life - simply by means of the vibrational bubble.
I like this book and have been returning to it over the years. It's one I keep and revisit as the concepts take time to be fully grasped or integrated. If you can put aside (if you have a problem with it), the idea that all of the information is channeled to Esther Hicks by an "entity" named Abraham there is much to learn. It doesn't matter if you think that's weird or even if you think it's "wrong" somehow. Put judgement aside and see what is applicable here for your life.
Show up and always be prepared. Have you ever noticed that the luckiest people at work seem to be the ones who show up prepared for meetings? They plan projects and develop timelines. They work well with other people and they always seem to have loads of energy. They are optimistic and confident because they are prepared. If you want to be one of the lucky ones at work who gets a promotion or a regular pay increase, do your homework. It’s no accident that the more prepared you are to tackle a challenge, the luckier you’ll be at successfully reaching your goals.
Look. Yes, you should have a vision of what you want your life to look like. I have a very clear vision. But it’s not hanging over my head. It’s in my pocket. Actually, it’s in my phone. And it changes as I change. They are a list of wants and goals but not needs. They do not define me or my worth. My vision acts as a compass. Do I want these things? Fuck yes I want these things. Will I not allow myself to be happy if I don’t obtain them? Nope. Been there, done that. Never again.
Yes, I am familiar with that phrase, although not sure how it applies to this situation. I am the source and you would like me to consider myself? I do not have an employer. Psychology Today provides a forum for articles and discussions. They do not hire me or pay me. They are not the source of this information. I take full responsibility for the content.
Hermeticism influenced the development of European thought in the Renaissance. Its ideas were transmitted partly through alchemy. In the 18th century, Franz Mesmer studied the works of alchemists such as Paracelsus and van Helmont. Van Helmont was a 17th-century Flemish physician who proclaimed the curative powers of the imagination. This lead Mesmer to develop his ideas about Animal magnetism which Phineas Quimby, the founder of New Thought, studied.